Bourbon Salted Caramel
Love cake, chocolate and salted caramel? Then this double chocolate cake with LiQ Bourbon Salted Caramel ice cream & almond brittle is your guilty pleasure! Easy to make, even easier to eat.
Preparation time = 15 mins
Cook time = 50 mins
For the almond brittle
- 120g blanched whole almonds, toasted then roughly chopped
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 50g butter
For the cake
- 300g 70% cacao chocolate, broken into pieces
- 225g caster sugar
- 175ml boiling water
- 225g salted butter, cut into cubes (plus a little extra for greasing)
- 6 free range eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150g 70% cacao chocolate, to serve
- LiQ Bourbon Salted Caramel ice cream, to serve
Almond brittle method:
- Put sugar, butter and water into a non-stick frying pan and heat gently.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and boil for 4-5 minutes until its a light golden brown colour.
- Add the nuts and stir.
- Smooth the mixture onto greased baking paper and leave to cool.
- Once hardened, snap it up into shards to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease a springform cake tin (23cm, loose bottom).
- Blend the chocolate and sugar in a food processor until powder textured.
- Add the boiling water, egg yolks, butter, coffee powder and vanilla extract and blitz until combined.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites bit by bit.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Once cooled, place on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Melt 150g of chocolate and drizzle over the cake, allowing it to run down the sides.
- Scatter the shards of almond brittle in the centre of the cake.
- Serve a slice of cake with a generous scoop of LiQ Bourbon Salted Caramel ice cream. Done!